Skip to main content

To save money, what is the extreme you have gone to?

I always studied in government schools. Fee at that time was less than ten paise. As a student I used to write on stone slate and wooden board - called TAKHTI. We could wipe off the slate and would wash the yellow material and black washable ink from the Takhati. And both were ready for re-use again.
When I was made to use a paper exercise book for the first time I found it hard to digest the idea of writing and throwing away the filled copy after it was completely used. I chose to buy an exercise book with the cheapest quality paper. I wrote on it with a pencil instead of a pen. After a few pages were filled I would erase the writing off so that I could use the paper again. But the quality of paper was so poor that it could not take the punishment. With a sad heart I had to buy another copy.
Till this day I carry that attitude. I do not throw the envelopes in which I receive my mail or magazines. I retain the good quality envelopes, paste blank pieces from other used paper over the written or printed portions and re-use these. Since most correspondence is by email I have a big pile of such refurbished envelopes even now.
Prabhu Dev
Cutting all your expenses like watching movies, eating outside, buying unnecessary assets will make you save the money. But save money to an extent, save only the amount which is helpful in the worst emergency situations. The best way to deal with the money is investing or buying some useful assets. Just recap your childhood and think what value does one rupee coin had, how many things you could seriously buy with that one rupee. Now just see what value do that one rupee have and how many things you could buy with that. The value of money always reduces while the value of product always increases so people always recommend to either invest or buy some asset(only useful).
I search for offers .
  • For seeing movies , i used to club two or more offers. I used to book tickets from BookMyShow using some offer code and use freecharge wallet to pay amount. I used to get 2 tickets, 120 Rupees each for around 40 Rupees in total.
  • Use my referral code in all my friends and roommates first time registration. I will get benefits of it. I have got more than 50 free rides from uber and ola on referring. Even those free rides i used to book through Tapzo(formely known as Helpchat) so that i get extra cashback).
  • Search for coupons or offers before doing any online payment like recharge, shopping, bus bookings and even train booking. I used Groupon and couponDunia most common.
  • For doing money transfer to others account instantly, instead of paying extra amount for IMPS transactions, i load money in mobikwik with load cash offers, and then do transactions from it. I get at-least 1% of amount in my wallet and whole transaction happens within 5 minutes.
  • I have more than 7 bank cards so that i can use accordingly to avail offer in online transactions for some particular banks.
  • I regularly check offers in mobikwik, paytm, freecharge in their websites for using these digital payments as i may get a extra benefit.
  • The best offer i have ever made is for a Pondichery trip for three of them including me. I booked train from Bangalore to Pondi, through Mobikwik wallet getting 150 Cashback. Booked Deluxe AC room in three star hotel in Pondichery worth 2799+ Tax worth for Rupees 803 through Redbus offer. 50 Rupees off in each cab rides in Bangalore, Chennai and Pondichery. (We took more than 7 rides in that trip). And Flying from Chennai to Bangalore in Indigo Airlines for 88 Rupees each.( Actual ticket price was 1088 for each. Got 1000 Cashback, when i booked from paytm. I used three account details for getting cashback for each ).
I save around 3 to 4 k every month using offers. I spend those in buying new things or for trips.
Hi,
Know how to improve your financial institutions performance. Learn best practices in Check cashing issues and protect your financial institutions reputation. Attend the webinar.
This webinar focuses on the legal issues commonly encountered inside a financial institution' retail branches. This training will provide best practices guidance on: Check cashing issues, including for non-customers; Co-payee & indorsement fraud; Stop payment orders, including those for official checks; 'Canadian Lottery' and 'Nigerian Check Scams'; Handling forgery/unauthorized activity claims; Remotely created checks; Elder financial abuse issues; and Customer financial privacy concerns at the branches.
Protecting and improving your financial institution's reputation and bottom line often begins (and ends) with your customer's interaction with the front-line personnel. Getting it right on the branch floor, with the proper training, enhances the brand's value and avoids the business risk of a death-by-a-thousand- cuts.
Understanding the rules that apply when interacting with account holders is the best assurance of improving a branch's performance and increasing its value to the financial institution. The old adage, which remains true, is that doing what is right begins with knowing what is right.etc..
Shamsher Singh
I love shoes. I have a collection of few good ones, mostly sneakers. There is a sale going on at ZARA stores and I badly wanted to buy these shoes :
How I controlled ma mind is to sit and watch IND vs ENG rather than going for shopping and spending thousands of rupee.
Its not that extreme but somehow I saved ma money.
Avish Shah
I cannot say its extreme but savings for middle class person is must.
i just started earning before that my father was only person who earns , so for savings i used to pay bills through online payment sites as they give some cash back which i use in another payments, i still do this because it saves my money.
Distance from my house to railway station is approx 15 to 20 min by walking , i always cover this distance by walking , i rarely cover this distance by auto rickshaw.
I go with shopping with my mother at Dmart, as dmart always give discounts on each product , you save lots of money, if you don't believe just visit once.
buying electronics from online store during festival season.
By doing this i save money, hope this things help you also for savings.
savings make good future for you!
Thank you
  1. Avoided watching movies in theatre.
  2. Avoiding uber and preferring public transportation like mmts in Hyderabad which is cheap and saves lot of money.
  3. Having home made food and no to junk food.
  4. Avoided coke and drank water.
  5. Riding cycle instead of bike.
  6. Giving missed call to my girl.(she's so supportive)
  7. For now that's it. I'll update above points once i get any new thoughts in mind.
Anonymous
Anonymous
  1. Spent more time in the office to save on AC bills at home.
  2. Ate Maggi for dinner.
  3. Walked instead of taking a bus or cab.
  4. Didn’t shop or went to a restaurant or to see a movie.\
  5. Stopped smoking.
  6. Used worn out clothes
Rajesh Kannan
I'm saving 95% of my monthly salary.
1) I have not seen a movie in cinema hall in last 8 years
2) Not purchasing any new clothes in last 2 years
3) no party/pubs & no weekends
4) using 4 years old phone (512MB Ram)
5) using same shoe for 15 months ( I have only one shoe that too given by company)
6) having only 5 sets of cloth
7) using 3 years old laptop
8) not used my own money for food in hotels for last 6 years
9) used to shave my head to save haircut money
10) not using any beauty products like fairness cream etc..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is your salary in hand?

So here are the answers from different peoples across the globe: Akshay Bhagwat , MBA in Finance with 6 years of experience in bank Answered Jul 9 I am a branch manager of an Indian Public Sector Bank which is also one among the top 50 banks of the world. If you ask my in hand salary, you will laugh at me. Please don't be surprised if I tell CEO of my bank, one of the most influential personality of the business world of my country earns the salary of just below ₹ 25 lacs in a year. If you count my CTC, it may go up to 5 times of the salary. My in hand salary forms a small part in my CTC. My previous month's salary credit to my account is just ₹ 35400. That is the in hand salary I am getting after 6 years of experience. But I am not poorly paid. This in hand salary is after deduction of income tax, my contribution to PF( 10% of the basic), NPS(10% of the gross), EMI of interest free festival advance(10% of gross), EMI of car loan. My company

Which Quora user should I follow on Quora? Why?

Marc Bodnick , worked at Quora Updated Nov 13, 2015  ·  Upvoted by  Charlie Cheever ,  One of the founders of Quora  and  Valerie Hajdik ,  worked at Quora This list is maintained and updated by me in consultation with some of the people who are on it. Feel free to Suggest Edits. Please keep groups alphabetized by last name. Academia :  Marcia J. Bates ,  Thomas Cormen ,  David Joyce ,  David Karger ,  Shriram Krishnamurthi ,  Norm Matloff ,  Igor Markov , Matthew Might   Seb Paquet ,  Jay Wacker ,  Ben Y. Zhao Accounting :   Wray Rives ,  Peter Baskerville ,  Garrick Saito Advertising:  Tom Goodwin ,  Peter Corbett Animals :   Logan Forbes Air Travel :  Rakesh Agrawal ,  Mike Holovacs ,  Michael McGraw-Herdeg ,  Raj Misra ,  Michael Molesky ,  Alex Stoll ,  Dan Zeehandelaar Angel Investing :   Sae Min Ahn ,  Tim Berry ,  Antone Johnson ,  David S. Rose ,  Gil Silberman ,  Scott Edward Walker ,  Michael Wolfe ,  Terrence Yang , Animals  and  Pets :